And more rabbits. . .

On Thanksgiving morning I was out in the vegetable garden (or what’s left of it) cutting rosemary for our turkey and thinking, gee, we’d better harvest all of that rosemary really soon (and, no, I still haven’t done that).  As I turned to walk back to the house I noticed, between the garage and the vegetable garden, what looked like some clumps of dirt, fairly evenly spaced, as if it were dirt coming off someone’s shoes with every step they took.
I thought that was sort of odd, since it hadn’t been muddy in the garden for months. . . and when I looked a bit closer, I saw that they were piles of rabbit poop. Five or six separate piles of rabbit poop.  All in a nice row.

No caption necessary

et cetera. . .

. . . and more

Thanks for sharing, right??

Wow.  Can you BELIEVE how much they leave behind, for how relatively small they are?  Good grief, what are they doing, having big rabbit parties, sitting there for HOURS, just munching and pooping, while we’re in the house, oblivious?? We haven’t actually seen a rabbit in our yard in many weeks—I’d thought perhaps we’d gotten rid of them all, as if that were even remotely possible.  So I don’t know if they’re getting smarter, and not letting us see them, or if there’s just more to eat over on that side of the yard.

One thing I DO know is that I’ll be putting out the traps again.  :)

This entry was posted in Fall, Gardening, Vegetables and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to And more rabbits. . .

1. Ginny says:

Thanks for this, Sandi! I have a big, silly grin on my face to start the day now :D Those little doodie balls are the main reason I always told the kids to *never* eat the snow, no matter how clean it seemed….

2. ma ga says:

no snow this year! I remember one Thanksgiving, I needed some thyme, and knowing where it was under the snow, I dug down and gathered some thyme for our dinner.

That’s great! I also have lemon thyme left at this point–but I really do need to cut that and the rosemary before it gets too much colder, I suppose. :)

I sort of have the same feeling when I see mouse droppings – Was there a big mouse party that I missed!! Ick. I try to be kind, and think of things like ‘The Borrowers’ – or little ‘mouse people’ but it’s still pretty gross. And they poop a LOT

Yeah, I gave up trying to be kind a long time ago. ;) And sometimes after a fresh snow, it’s like, MAN ALIVE!! Total rabbit party all over the back yard! You can even see little rabbit footprints up on the front steps–like they were thinking about knocking on the door or something.

You ring the bell. No YOU ring the bell. I double hare dare ya. Shhhhh … Someone’s moving inside. HHHHOPPPPPP !!!!!!

5. Pingback: Rabbit poop stats | the Dirt