Sweet potatoes

After a fairly successful summer of growing four different kinds of potatoes, we decided that next year we might try sweet potatoes instead. (Trevor wondered if the number of potatoes we harvested was worth the amount of space they took.)

Then my sister (hi, Sheri!) mentioned that she’d seen a picture of purple sweet potatoes somewhere online, and you know I was hooked.  I’m excited to try something different—I just hope they’re not difficult to grow.  I have a feeling that my online vegetable garden ordering might start pretty soon (and it hasn’t even snowed yet!).

So I started looking around a bit and found these:

Purple sweet potato

Three colors of sweet potatoes

Now, tell me—does this seem right up my alley or WHAT?  :)  I can see them in their  straight (ok, not so straight, maybe) green rows already. . . . the white “Bonita,” the orange “Centennial,” and of course something wildly purple.  Sounds like fun to me.  :)

———–

If you enjoyed the blog entry on the 16th about rabbit poop stats, you will perhaps be amused (or, again, disturbed) to know that the most recent phrase in regards to rabbits that helped someone find my blog was, “My rabbit poops on me.”  Then, yesterday, it was “My wife, who is beautiful, finds piles of rabbit poop in our yard.”  Seriously, people—is someone just having me on?

This entry was posted in Gardening, plants, rabbits, Vegetables and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Sweet potatoes

1. Emil and Toni Burgau says:

We grew sweet potatoes this year – rec’d the plants late due to the wet weather down south (Georgia, Tennessee) anyway, if we would have rec’d them in order for them to have a longer growing season – we do believe they would have been really nice. The sweet potatoes we did harvest were out of this world taste wise – they do not compare to store bought at all. The taste is to die for. You have got to grow them as we are planning on planting more next year.

Well, that makes me even more excited to try them! I have been sort of blown away by the difference in home-grown (or CSA-grown) vegetables–I feel like I can hardly even eat store-bought tomatoes anymore.

2. Ginny says:

Thanks for an update on the bunny poop saga, Sandi–I think you may have some sort of meme starting here :) Also, *love* the idea of purple sweet potatoes. I would love to hear how they taste when you harvest them.

Yay! Yay! Yay! Purple sweet potatoes – I can’t WAIT!!!!!!!

AND I’m very confused by your picture. How can sweet potatoes be white? How would you tell them from ‘regular’ potatoes?

I suppose they can be white just like they can be purple. The shape is different, but I suppose really you’d just know that you planted sweet potatoes and not regular potatoes. :) Interesting that both “regular” potatoes and sweet potatoes come in purple, though. . .

You should have dad check it out – maybe the color ‘gene’ is an easy one to mutate.

6. I have to ask…after seeing your pictures of flowers…WHAT kind of camera are you using? :) Details, please…and thanks for all the great pics-to-die-for! :)