Decisions, decisions

It’s decision time.

We still have six “harvest event” coupons for our CSA, Bluebird Gardens.  Six!  I’m so excited!  That means that, since we share a “share” with my sister’s family, each of us has three whole harvest events to choose.

I know we will do pumpkins for one and winter squash for one–I think we get 8 pumpkins for an event and 11 squash.  Or something close to that.

But what to do for the third?  I couldn’t hope to eat enough beets to make that worthwhile, since I’m the only one in my family who likes them.

We already have potatoes from our own garden, and although we love potatoes, my one concern would be getting through all of them before they start to get old and soft. (We just store them in the basement because we don’t have even close to enough room in the fridge.)

We’ve already had quite a lot of tomatoes, thanks to a free pre-frost tomato harvest event at the farm and a generous friend with lots of tomatoes. We could do carrots, but we already have some carrots in our own garden that still need digging, ditto turnips.

Maybe a half carrot, half garlic event?  Or maybe half carrot and half squash?  Anyone out there familiar with how well squash keeps?  Again, we’d be stuck with just trying to keep them cool-ish and relatively dry in the basement.

This was our final harvest from last fall.

Last year’s final CSA harvest

We will probably try to get there this Saturday, since that’s when the fall harvest events begin and we definitely want to get there before everything is picked over.

I do know that, whatever we pick, it will be wonderful and delicious, especially come February when the fresh veggies are pretty slim pickins. We just love our CSA! :)

This entry was posted in Fall and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Decisions, decisions

1. Avatar of Char G Char G says:

Any ideas where I can still find some herb plants this fall that I can put into some indoor pots? I’ve checked most of the places I can think of?

I have found pots of herbs before at grocery stores, but it is kind of hit-and-miss. Have you checked places like Levi Runions and Baker’s? They might be more likely to have plants left over than the big-box garden centers. . . . good luck!

2. Dina says:

I plan to go Saturday as well, I have 3 tickets left too, so glad you suggested this CSA one of the best things I have done this year! Pumpkins and potatoes, maybe squash. Can’t wait! Keep up the good work Sandi!

3. Molly says:

Winter squash will keep just about forever if kept off a cement floor. Summer squash on the other hand will need to be prepped and frozen or canned.

You can also cut up and cook all of the winter squash and put it in the freezer to be re-heated at a later date.

That’s great to know–I would definitely have left them on the cement floor. :) I will put them up on a shelf. Thank you so much for the info!

4. Molly says:

Glad to have helped. :)

You can also store your pototoes for most of the winter if you hang them in burlap bags or old feed bags from the ceiling. Again, cement floors. Its kind of a pain to bring them down every time you want some potatoes, but they will last.

I’m sure you’re right–last winter I put my potatoes in plastic bags on the cement floor–I made sure the bags were sort of pulled down on the sides so they wouldn’t trap moisture, and the potatoes lasted fairly well, but by March or so they were growing like crazy. This year I put them in fabric grocery bags and hoisted them up on a hook. You’re right, it’s not the most convenient, but if they last better it’s well worth the effort! :)

• Molly says:

Thats a great idea on the fabric grocery bags!

Did you save your growing potatoes to put in the ground this year?

I sure did–in fact those potatoes grew better than the new ones I’d bought. I may use only this year’s potatoes next year!

• Molly says:

I would certainly give it a try! Were they a hybrid or a heirloom?

You know, I don’t recall–although I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re all hybrids because they were all pink or purple. But I’m still willing to give them a try!

5. Molly says:

I was curious because most of my garden, well a good 95% of it is heirloom.