Speaking of potatoes. . . .

If you’ve read my blog even fairly frequently, you probably know that I have a weakness for differently colored vegetables.

Purple potatoes, red/white/purple carrots, purple sweet potatoes, brown tomatoes–the list is long.  And I’ve tried a lot of different things.  I frequently find that the more unique vegetables don’t produce as well, but that doesn’t seem to stop me.

Well, I was perusing an often-used online site and thinking about what to order for my vegetable garden this spring, and I came across this doozy.

Potato ‘Masquerade’

I’m still laughing.  And yet, I put them in my online cart.  I don’t think I can resist.  They aren’t necessarily appealing to look at, as far as food goes, and they are sort of ridiculous.  But I’m pretty sure I’m going to be growing them in my vegetable garden this summer.

If I can stop laughing long enough to order them. ;)

This entry was posted in Gardening, Vegetables and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Speaking of potatoes. . . .

They’re cute – but what are they masquerading as?
    And how many do you think they had to sort through to find enough for the picture :)

I know, right? And the fact that they’re just white inside. . . seems like kind of a let-down. :)

• David says:

We developed Masquerade and it does have a light yellow flesh. Several taste tests indicate that it has superior flavor. Masquerade was the name chosen to recognize it bicolor skin attribute.

2. Barbee says:

Are you kidding? How can you resist?
    I have already pre-ordered mine and have prepped the bed. (Spring can’t come too soon.)

3. Jerry Adams says:

I also like to try everything. My masquerade potatoes are about 3 feet + tall and full of beutiful purple blossoms. They are worth the flowers alone. I have a feeling they may not be very productive.

I would be very interested to hear how they produce–let me know if you think of it after harvesting. We were just realizing the other day that we completely forgot about potatoes this year! Crazy! But the garden is full anyway so I guess that’s probably why it didn’t occur to us earlier.

• David says:

How did Masquerade do? Did it yield well and eat good?