The cure for sprouting

I read something really interesting the other day in one of my cookbooks.  Put an apple in with your potatoes, it said, to prevent the potatoes from sprouting in storage.

I wish I would have heard that a couple of years ago. . . my potatoes sprouted like mad last winter and I ended up tossing quite a few of them because they were sort of shrivelled up and not very appealing to look at (or cook with).

I’ve used all my fingerlings and almost all my red ones so far–pretty much all I have left is some blue ones. Maybe 25 or so, roughly golf-ball-sized.

You can see they’re already sprouting fairly vigorously.

Below are the potato bags we bought last year and didn’t use. I was feeling pretty good that this past fall I was organized enough to actually put the potatoes in the potato bags. :)

So, after reading that tip last weekend, I tossed an apple in the bag with the remaining potatoes. . . I’m not sure if it counts when they’ve started sprouting already.  It will be interesting to see if it seems to have an effect on the potatoes.

I’ll keep you posted. :)

This entry was posted in Vegetables and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to The cure for sprouting

Do you think it will get all mushy and gross, or just shrivel up?

2. Avatar of Sandi Sandi says:

That’s a good question–I never really thought about what would happen to the apple. Now I’m kind of excited. :)

3. Molly says:

Save your sprouted ones to plant on Good Friday. They will do just fine!

I’m curious too if the apple will do anything. Thats a new one on me.

Haha–Good Friday! That’s about a month and a half too early for this part of the country–sure would be nice, though!! ;)

I did plant a bunch of my sprouted ones last year, but I think I’m going with a different variety this year–might have to buy new ones. :)

• Molly says:

Guess what! My grandparents used to live in Verndale and they planted their potatoes on GF without fail. Here in Washington, its too early too – usually the first part of May just after the last freeze date.

But then you’ve been a lot colder than we are at the moment! We’re sunny and 30 degrees supposedly getting up to about 40 today. :) Maybe an early spring?

4. Renae says:

You are desprouting the potatoes before putting them in that fancy potato bag with the apple, right?