Why I hate rabbits. . .

. . . reason number 156. At least.

I know, I know.  They’re adorable, and furry, and soft.  And they have to eat, right?

Well, I have had enough–it’s war.  We disposed of at least 10 last summer; I always want to believe we’ve seen the end of them.  I really should know better.

There is a family of at least three living under our deck right now.  We have lattice-work panels under the deck, lined with chicken wire, to prevent just this scenario.  But the deck has sunk a bit over the years and the bottom isn’t as straight as it once was, and now apparently the little fiends have found a way under there.

Ok, so I digress.  Here is a photo of why I hate rabbits.

These are our cotoneaster shrubs.  That’s not dappled sunshine on the branches, it’s actually missing bark.  The rabbits have chewed the bark off multiple branches of every single shrub in the border.  Well, we’ve been planning on pruning then anyway, but they’re going to have to be pruned pretty severely to get past the rabbit damage–like down to six inches or so.

We do have plans to fix the deck this spring, so we’re hoping that will help with our problem at least for next winter.  Until then, it’s war.  :)

This entry was posted in rabbits, Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Why I hate rabbits. . .

1. Avatar of Sandi Sandi says:

Note: I had two negative comments to this post, and, over the weekend, while I was mulling over my responses, I lost them in my spam. (I get lots of spam comments.) :)

My apologies–if you repost your comment, I will approve it.

2. Dixie says:

I had a “talk” with one of the bunnies that likes to eat the leaves off my asiatic lily plants. He promised not to eat any more and I promised not to get the BB gun out. Is there any other way to keep them out of the gardens?

Haha–that’s awesome! :) Thanks for the visual image! ;)

That’s a good question! I’ve found that it’s very difficult to keep rabbits out of the garden without resorting to chicken-wire, which, of course, is not so attractive. We finally surrounded our vegetable garden with chicken-wire because it was either that or lose all our produce to the rabbits.

I have had some luck, however, with a liquid repellent called “Shotgun”–similar to Liquid Fence (which I can’t use because the smell of it absolutely makes me retch). The drawback to that is that you have to re-apply every so often, especially if it rains. And I have way too much garden space to effectively cover it all. But, there are a few things, like my asiatic lilies, that I will spray when they are just coming up (because bunnies love those tender little buds) and that seems to be fairly effective in keeping them away long enough for the plants to get bigger and less appealing to the munchers.

So, you could try that on your lilies and see if it helps. Let me know how it turns out! :)

3. Molly says:

I have heard of Liquid Fence, but not Shotgun. Thanks!

My problem is keeping my dog out of the garden. I have the rock chuck (yellow bellied marmot) problem taken care of courtesy of a .22, but my dog keeps going in and digging. Do you think that Shotgun would work for that?

You know, I feel like it certainly wouldn’t hurt to try. The Shotgun has more of a pepper-y smell and not so much of a urine-y smell (like the Liquid Fence). So I wonder if the Liquid Fence would actually work better for dogs? If you can stand it yourself–haha!

If you give it a try I’d be interested to know if it works or not. I always feel like it’s a bonus to be able to learn from other people’s experiences as well! :)

4. Molly says:

I’ve tried about everything to keep him out. Nothing seems to work. This is the same dog that ripped out a tomato cage that I had covering a newly planted Rhodie, doused heavily with cayenne just because it was something new and therefore fair game. The 3rd time I planted it he finally left it alone – probably because it died!

Do you know who carries Shotgun?

I believe I have gotten it before at Menard’s–not sure if you have those where you are. . . I typically buy it at a locally-owned nursery. I’d be willing to bet you could find it online, though. (I always buy my grass-killer through Amazon–haha!)

Good luck!

• Molly says:

I’m guessing either Lowes or HD will have it. We don’t have a Menards even close. Unless a road trip is in order to Wyoming! Amazon does have it, so unless the big box stores don’t, I’ll have to order from them.

Thanks for your help!

5. Threaten to call the cops and have them arrested for destruction of property, that should work as rabbits are rather easily intimidated.