The basil is sprouting

In spite of the wintry weather outside (it’s snowing again), we’ve got a little bit of spring in our kitchen; the basil is sprouting!

You may remember that I signed up for the U of M Master Gardener seed trials for this summer and I got sent packets of turnip and basil seeds. (If you don’t remember, you can read about it here.) :)

Although I really don’t have a good setup for seed-starting, I was extremely interested in getting the basil. We love basil, and six varieties of basil just sounded like a good thing. Of course, I won’t actually know which ones are which until the trial is over, because, to be appropriately scientific, it had to be a “blind” test.  So the seeds were simply labelled “A” through “F.”

My biggest fear was that they wouldn’t sprout at all, but at this point I’ve got a minimum of six sprouts for each kind.  So, knock on wood, we should have at least a couple of transplants of each kind to put out in the vegetable garden (assuming summer ever comes).

Here’s hoping for lots of basil this summer! :)

This entry was posted in Master Gardeners and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to The basil is sprouting

that is – If the RABBITS don’t get to it all first :)

2. Nancy Inada says:

pesto pesto and more pesto

3. Molly G says:

You got your lights on over it?

This year I’m starting so many seeds indoors that it will make your head spin. Last count was 216 pots with more to go. I have my living room table just covered with 2″ jiffy pots. I think there is 6 or 7 different kinds of basil – I just can’t remember! Its terrible getting old. ggg

Nope, don’t have lights. Which is why I usually don’t do it. But they’re on my kitchen table which is a nice sunny spot. Hopefully it will work!

• Molly G says:

A regular 4 foot shop light is all that you need. Place it about 1 inch from the top of the pot\plants and it will keep them from getting spindly.

I start everything that way, its easy and cheap. I have tried grow lights, but in actuality, regular shop lights work better.

Yeah, I’ve looked into it before, but we just don’t have room. And I don’t think that would be a great look for my kitchen table. ;) Haha!

I just buy seedlings–easier for me.

• Molly G says:

Ha Ha! :) That’s the reason that my Mom and SiL have me start their tomatoes and peppers!