The tomato paste solution

It’s a scenario that most of us cooks have been through time and again.

The recipe calls for two tablespoons of tomato paste. So, you open a 6-oz can of it, because that’s the only size it comes in, right? You use your two tablespoons out of the can, throw some tinfoil over the top of it (or, if you’re super-organized and sensible, you actually transfer it to a small plastic container), and toss it in the fridge.

Where it sits until it molds. So you throw it away. And then the next day you’re cooking something else that calls for two tablespoons of tomato paste.

And so on.

Well, I found a solution; perhaps you’re all way ahead of me and are thinking, “What the heck is wrong with her that she didn’t know about this stuff?”

Here it is.

Tada! Is this the most genius invention ever?  Have I been living in the stone age that I just discovered this stuff about a year ago? Ok, don’t bother answering that second question.

I love it–it’s like a tube of toothpaste (except you really don’t want to brush your teeth with this stuff, trust me). ;) I’m sure it’s probably much more expensive than the little cans, ounce for ounce.  You know what?  I have NO CLUE how much it costs. And I don’t care.  I know it’s cheaper in the end, because I’m not wasting a half a can every single time I need some.

Two tablespoons, one teaspoon, just a smidge, whatever. You can use however much you need at the time, and eventually you end up using THE WHOLE THING. :)

I know, I’m easily impressed.  But I’ve also started buying garlic paste and pesto this way. If I could buy crushed ginger this way, I’d do that, too. (Although I actually started buying the ginger in a little glass jar, which is basically the same idea.  And also genius.) This wonderful little tube of tomato paste comes in a little box, and you can find it by all the canned tomato products.

Try it, you’ll love it. I promise. :)

This entry was posted in cooking. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to The tomato paste solution

It is WAY more expensive than the small cans. That’s my only beef.

Oh, I know–but when I figure I was only getting between a teaspoon and two tablespoons out of most of my cans, I think it does end up being more cost-effective. :) It makes me FEEL better, anyway. Haha!

2. June says:

I think you probably could put the left over paste in little 2 tablespoon piles on a metal pan, freeze, and then remove them, bag them, and toss them in the freezer. Maybe should give the pan a quick spray with Pam, or a quick grease.

3. Bea says:

Here’s a cheaper way to handle the tomato paste dilemma. Spoon the remaining tomato paste in 1 tablespoon sized mounds onto a waxed paper lined plate. Flash freeze. Remove the mounds from the waxed paper and put into a freezer bag and keep in freezer. Pop frozen mounds as needed into spaghetti sauce, chili, whatever. And you don’t have to be fussy about the 1 T. – just eyeball it. BTW, S&B makes prepared ginger in a tube. It’s in the Chinese food section.

4. Brooke says:

Use old or buy new ice cube trays a fill a few w/ the paste from cans , freeze & bag. I’ve done that but also have the tube on hand also. I don’t happen to think it tastes that bad. Since it’s used in such small amounts I doubt it has the power to ruin a recipe.

You know, I think you’re right about the taste–I guess I don’t think any kind of tomato paste, by itself, is super good. :) But I’ve also never noticed one that’s particularly bad. I’ll probably keep using the one in the tube, just because it’s so convenient.